IMPORTANT: The house is an old farmhouse; accordingly it has stone or terracotta floors, some doors are lower than head height and steep steps in places. It is essential therefore that the party leader can and does supervise all children and teenagers at all times and/or any person under the influence of drink or drugs – particularly:
· on any staircase;
· in or around the swimming pool;
· above or near the entrance to the pool’s technical room; and/or
· by and near the lake above the house.
The house is situated at the end of a long white road (strada bianca): this is a public road but, like many in Italy, it is rarely maintained by the local commune. When making the booking it is understood that there are many bumps, trenches, loose gravel or stones, ruts and holes in the road and also other local roads: anyone driving must take care and, ideally, utilize a 4x4 vehicle, or another vehicle with high road-clearance. Low saloon cars or those with body panels or (unless very experienced) motor-bikes are not suitable for negotiating the road to the house.
2. VVO reserves the right to modify the prices in the price list when necessary or offer discounts periodically. Any reductions – or increases - in prices offered to or paid by others after the date of your booking shall not affect your obligation to pay the sum specified in the Booking Confirmation.
3. The rental prices issued on the Villa Val D’Orcia website are in £ sterling (British Pounds); if euros or other currencies are agreed for payment then the tenants shall nevetheless be liable to pay the equivalent in GBP at the rate as applicable as at the first day of the holiday.
BOOKINGS AND PAYMENTS
4. All bookings are subject to availability. The party leader must be at least 18 years at the time of booking and that individual is the contracting party under these terms and conditions and responsible for making all payments due to VVO.
Bookings are accepted on the basis that:
(i) the identity of the party leader is clear and that no false names or pseudonyms are used;
(ii) the purpose of the renting and the nationality, number and ages of the people to stay at the house are truthfully given;
(iii) the house will not be used for any illegal or immoral purpose not to cause nuisance or annoyance to neighbours or others
If it becomes apparent to VVO or the agent that either (i), (ii) or (iii) is or may become untrue then this will be a fundamental breach of the contract entitling VVO to: cancel the booking; retain the deposit; and bring any claim for the full cancellation fee as set out in 27 below.
Small dogs only are permitted but only if agreed in advance and that any damage caused or additional cleaning, both inside and outside is paid for.
No smoking is permitted inside.
No fires are permitted outside save in the Weber barbequeue used for cooking purposes only. The Bread/pizza oven next to the washing machine is not for use.
6. A booking is made, and a contract entered into between VVO and the party leader at the moment when VVO have issued a booking confirmation verifying your holiday details including rental costs and payments made and/or to be made. The details entered on the booking confirmation must be checked on receipt by the customer: this represents the dates and terms of the booking and is the only reflection of the contract terms. Any other emails or prior correspondence are excluded and the customer acknowledges that they have not relied on them.
7. A 30% deposit is due at the time of booking except when booking less than 8 weeks before departure, in which case the full rental amount and security deposit (see clause 21 below) will be due at time of booking. Full payment of the rental is due by the date shown on your confirmation of booking, normally eight weeks before the start of the rental. If balance of payment is not made by the due date the booking may be deemed to be cancelled and cancellation terms will apply.
8. On receipt of your booking and deposit, we will send you a confirmation invoice verifying your holiday details including rental costs and payments made.
10. If after a confirmed booking is made you wish to amend or change your booking with us, we will consider your request, but it may not always be possible. Any such changes or amendments will be subject to payment of an administration fee of £30. Any changes made with 56 days or less to your holiday start date may at VVO’s discretion be treated as a cancellation and may therefore incur cancellation fees.
11. VVO have the right to refuse any booking.
12. The property will be reserved for the person named on the booking form, the party leader, and their party members. The number of people staying at the property must not exceed the agreed occupancy number stated on the booking confirmation and their true names, nationality and ages must conform with what was stated in advance by the party leader.
13. Any damage, breakage, or anything giving cause for concern noticed on taking occupancy of the property, must be reported to VVO or their agent within 24 hours of you taking up occupancy. If no notice is made it will be assumed that the property and its contents are as set out in the Villa Val D’Orcia house manual made available at the house.
14. The house will be clean and in good order when the client takes up occupation and should be left in the same state. Where a compulsory cleaning fee is charged it is indicated on your booking confirmation and is payable to the agent locally on leaving in Euro and if not will be debited from the deposit.
15. The party leader is responsible for any breakages or damage caused to the property, its contents or grounds during the period of occupancy and for any bills incurred during the stay. Such losses, costs or additional cleaning charges (if the property is left in an unsatisfactory condition) will be billed to the party leader. Should any bills not be settled in full on completion of the rental, the outstanding amount will be billed by VVO to the party leader, including any additional administration costs.
16. Any articles left behind can be forwarded on receipt of a minimum handling fee of 20 euros plus postage and packaging costs. Any unclaimed articles will be disposed of after 28 days.
17. The party leader is responsible for the behaviour of their party. Should any member of the party behave in a manner that is not acceptable to VVO or any neighbour, VVO has the right to ask you and all members of the group staying at the house to vacate the premises. In such instances no refunds or alternative accommodation will be provided.
18. Children should be supervised at all times. Clients are reminded that there are no lifeguards at the swimming pool and it is absolutely forbidden to dive into the pool. The pool is 1.6m deep and is not suitable for children or toddlers unless supervised and looked after continually when near the pool. For safe use of swimming pools and other facilities we recommend clients to observe all property regulations. Use of any facility including swimming pools is entirely at the clients own risk and VVO cannot be held responsible for any accident or damage to the client or any other person.
19. Neither the property owner nor VVO can be held responsible for any accident, loss or damage which may be sustained by the party leader, member of their party or visitor to the property howsoever caused.
The rental does not extend to: the lake area above the house, the technical room for the pool and its entrance nor the fenced in gas bombolone.
ARRIVAL & DEPARTURE TIMES
20. Arrival times are between the hours of 5pm to 7pm unless otherwise stated. Clients who wish to arrive earlier than the nominated arrival times must have permission to do so as the properties are usually being prepared for the letting between 10am and 5pm and VVO and/or the agent may not be able to accept an early arrival. Guests who arrive after the designated arrival times without having made any special arrangements and having the owners acceptance in advance, may not be able to gain admittance to the property until the following day. We shall try to make such arrangements on your behalf but may not be able to do so. Guests will be responsible for any extra costs.
Guests must vacate the property by 10am on the day of departure.
21. A security deposit of 20% of the total holiday cost is payable to VVO in advance when the final rental amount is paid. This deposit will be returned to the party leader within 14 days of the end of the stay less any deductions made for damages or extra services supplied.
EQUIPMENT, STANDARDS AND SERVICES
22. VVO cannot be liable for "force majeure" including events outside its control including but not limited to; storm damage, road closures, electricity, water or gas supply failures, flood, sudden invasion of hornets, ants, wasps or other pests, mechanical breakdown or previous damage by other tenants for which there has not been time to remedy.
23. It is believed that all the items of equipment described are in good working order but no guarantee is given or liability accepted if any breakdown occurs. If during the holiday any mechanical equipment (e.g. boilers, water softener, swimming pool pump or filtration, wi-fi, refrigerators or diswashers) breaks down, the party leader must notify VVO or the agent for repairs or replacement to be made as soon as possible.
24. The house is let fully furnished and equipped. The kitchen has gas and electric cooking facilities, microwave, refrigerators (2), sink with hot and cold water, adequate cooking utensils, crockery, cutlery, glasses and other household equipment to a reasonable standard for holiday use and suitable for the maximum number the house is stated to sleep. Indoor furniture and household linen must not be taken out of doors.
25. Bed-linen and bathroom towels are provided and included in the price. Household linen and towels must not be taken outside. Beach/pool towels and cot linen are not provided.
Some of the items in the house are antiques and may be valuable: please take great care when touching or handling the ceramic pots in the kitchen, paintings, decorative objects, oak and other old furniture, and other items on display.
Guidance nots will be sent to the customer before the booked holiday commences. These contain guidance as to the use of the property and must be adhered to.
27. If you cancel your booking, a cancellation charge will be payable based on the number of days before the arrival date at the property that we receive your written notice of cancellation. This means that if you have paid in full and then cancel, you may receive a refund of part of such cost. However, if you have not paid your total cost by the time of your cancellation, you may be required to make a further payment by way of cancellation charge. Please note the deposit, credit card charges and administration fees are not refundable in the event of your cancellation.
Cancellations must be made in writing. The following penalties will apply according to the date that the email or letter of cancellation is received by VVO:
More that 56 days before start date of holiday - the deposit
42 to 56 days before start date - 80% of the total rental price
Less than 42 days before start date - 100% of the total rental price.
28. We reserve the right to cancel a booking and retain the deposit if the balance of the rental and the security deposit is not received when it becomes due.
29. We reserve the right to modify or cancel any booking up to four weeks in advance of the rental date.
30. Where, owing to circumstances beyond VVO’s control, the house cannot be let or occupied, we may cancel the booking with the sole obligation to reimburse the monies we have received.
31. In the unlikely event that a client has any problems during their stay, the matter must be reported to the property owner or their representative. If the problem cannot be resolved with their assistance the client must, without delay, contact VVO. If you fail to notify the VVO or the agent of any dissatisfaction during your holiday in writing, or abandon the property without our agreement, we cannot accept liability for any complaints in retrospect. In the unlikely event that we have been unable to resolve a problem to your satisfaction, upon your return from holiday, you must write to us again giving full details within 7 days.
32. Personal travel, baggage, curtailment and cancellation insurance is essential and must be in place before you travel for all members of your party. VVO cannot be held responsible for any accident, loss or damage which may be sustained by the party leader, member of his or her party or visitor to the property howsoever caused or any misreading of the confirmation of booking or these terms. Should you need to cancel your holiday at any time it may be possible to claim any cancellation charges back from your policy.
The client hereby undertakes to indemnify VVO from and against any costs, claims, demands, expenses, losses, penalties, fines and/or damage arising out of any breach by the Client, or members of his or her party and their visitors, of the provisions above.
33. It will be necessary for us to file with the local commune details of all guests staying at the house: this includes guest names and passport details. You must co-operate with us in terms of making these details available and we reserve the right to withhold some or all of the deposit if any failure or reluctance on your part causes delay or failure on VVO to comply with the local tourist regulations in this connection.
In order to comply with local commune regulations, we shall need to enter into with you a standard form contract under Italian law. This will be sent to you before the commencement of the holiday.
ACCEPTANCE OF BOOKING CONDITIONS
34. When you complete the booking form and return it to us you will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions without exception or reservation. Your statutory rights are not affected. VVO shall not in any case be liable for indirect or consequential loss or loss of profit. Subject always to this, VVO's total liability whether in contract or tort, or otherwise arising from any breach on its part, is limited to the amounts paid by you to VVO at the time any cause of action has arisen.
These terms and conditions are subject to English law and the parties agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
In these terms and conditions, ‘VVO’ means Charlotte and Robin Fry of 12 Stafford Mansions, Albert Bridge Road, London SW11 4QG.